READ: Indigenous Solidarity Network Toolkit on
This is An Informative & Imperative Resource. Curated Tools Include:
Interactive Map of Tribes Native to Where You Live
Understanding the Concept of “Settler Privilege”
And Tools to Educate You, Provide you With Information for Important Conversations, & Resources to Help
“QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER & DISCUSS”
- Where did you learn the history of Thanksgiving?
- How does it feel to realize that many of the things you learned about Thanksgiving are myths?
- Whose ancestral lands are you living on that are now occupied by the US?
- What do you know about where your people came from and how they came to the land where you/they live currently?
- What are the dangers of continuing to perpetuate the myths of Thanksgiving with the excuse that children are “too young” to learn the truths? How do these lies damage trust within families and communities?
- What responsibility do we have to Indigenous Peoples whose land bases are being degraded so we might have cheap electricity, oil and water?
- How does the reality of the “Doctrine of Discovery” compare to the myth of a U.S. society based upon “liberty and justice for all?”
- What opportunities do you have to engage in conversations about changing mascots and other harmful representations of Indigenous peoples?