GET JUSTICE FOR MATTHEW RUSHIN
The 22-year old autistic Black man was sentenced to 50 years in prison for a non-fatal car accident.
Matthew Rushin is a young, Black autistic man. A year and a half ago, he was a mechanical engineering student at Old Dominion University. In January of 2019, Matthew was involved in a car accident. Within hours, he was charged by a magistrate with attempted murder. He is currently serving a 50-year sentence with 40 years suspended.
WATCH, READ, THEN TAKE ACTION BELOW:
Here are some facts:
- None of the 17 Virginia Beach officers followed their own standard operating procedures to transport an injured and mentally confused and distressed person for evaluation
- The Virginia Beach police did not exhibit an understanding of autism in their interpretations of Matthews’s comments and actions. Instead, they took advantage of his vulnerability as they
- handcuffed him,
- questioned him for nearly 4 hours at the scene (WITHOUT A LAWYER),
- lied to him about evidence, isolated him from his family,
- and charged him with 2nd-degree murder with a claim that the accident was an intentional attempt to kill himself by deliberately driving head-on into another car.
- Matthew was not taken for medical or physical health evaluations. The Virginia Beach CIT – Crisis Intervention Team – was not activated. This program is supposed to divert people with mental health crises to treatment instead of the criminal justice system.
- Matthew was coerced into signing a plea deal under false pretenses for a crime he did not commit
HERE’S HOW TO DEMAND ACTION:
MAKE CALLS & SEND EMAILS
DONATE TO MATTHEWS LEGAL FEES & FAMILY: